Old July 10th, 2007, 07:03 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
janerene

Default Dominica

Hey Don. Tried to send this back privately, but the nospam in the address
bounced it back, of course. Enjoyed. I took a look at your Bonaire
pictures, also, as we just got back from there. In picture 11, the orange
"memorial" is actually a pyramid that is a signal to the boats that would
load up the salt for export back in the old days. They have these tall
pyramids (they call them obelisks, but they are actually tall skinny
pyramids) in several locations on the island. There is a red one, a white
one, a blue one, and an orange one (corresponding to the colors in the Dutch
flag and the orange is part of their "royalty" color) The ships would be
notified as to which one to anchor close to for loading. Then the slaves
would load the ships. Everything at the salt pans is all automated now, of
course. Windmills keep the water circulating throughout the pans, which are
like "paddies". The higher the salinity, the pinker the water gets. I
think there is a high concentration of shrimp in these pans.

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:33:33 -0500, "janerene" wrote:

Has anyone on this forum gone to the island of Dominica? Care to share
some
experiences?

You can read my experience he http://donwiss.com/travel/carib2003.htm

Also see link at top to the pictures.