Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Default HAL Maasdam Review (back to back cruises)

"Recycle THIS" wrote:

Muster - C
Earsplitting and uncomfortable.
Also the announcements were SO loud that it hurt my ears.

Not as much as a dunk in the ocean would have hurt your ears, idiot.
IT'S LOUD SO YOU CAN HEAR IT WHEREVER YOU ARE!

A dunk in the ocean would not hurt my ears. It isn't necessary for
the loud speaker system to be that loud when it is right over your
head. They had a speaker at each lifeboat station, so it didn't need
to be that loud. Making people deaf is not going to help them hear.

Food Dining Service B

I liked the food.

We got our breakfast delivered to the room a couple of times, but
there really wasn't any good place to eat it (the table wasn't big
enough), and they didn't come and get the tray in any kind of timely
manner.

God forbid you could put it outside your door instead of waiting for the
staff to collect it........

The directions we were given (which we followed) was NOT to put it
into the corridor outside the door because it would be a hazard there.
We were to phone for the tray to be picked up. It was never picked up
while we were in the cabin. In at least one instance, our cabin
steward came to make up the cabin, and he took it away (complaining
that the people who were supposed to do it had not done so).

I loved the traditional dining on the first cruise - we had excellent
table mates. It wasn't so good on the second cruise because two of
our four table mates did not come to the dining room for 10 days in a
row.

I don't blame them. They probably had earache from the incessant whining
coming from across the table.

Their excuse was that they were enjoying dining in their suite. But
they didn't leave until after a couple joined us in Ft. Lauderdale one
of whom had a visible physical handicap. Maybe there's no connection.
I'd like to think not. I'd actually rather think that they didn't
want to eat with us or that they really were enjoying dining in their
suite rather than think they didn't want to eat with a handicapped
person.

We ate at the Pinnacle Grill once - the food was good and there was a
LOT of it - much more than we could eat. We got it as part of the
tour package - otherwise I don't think it would have been worth $30
each.

So the food was good and there was plenty of it..... But it wasn't worth a
measly $30.00?

It was too much to eat. And it would be $60 for the two of us ($30
each). That's more than I want to pay for food that wasn't that much
better. They had huge cuts of meat - I don't need a huge steak to
enjoy eating steak. A smaller steak is better. A little bit of
something allows you to taste and appreciate more things.

I never ate at the hamburger place by the Lido pool.

That's where you'd find ME then.

I'm glad to hear that.

Bob went on the kitchen tour. Afterwards he went to a demonstration
by the chef of the Pinnacle grill, where they demonstrated salmon with
lemon glaze and rosemary crumbs and three-grain pilaf with olives.
They gave everyone the recipes. He enjoyed that.

Must have gone alone then.

There were other people on the tour.

There are two nice pools - one outside which I used once, and one in
the middle of the Lido Deck. They had the water in the Lido Pool even
though it was a little rough and I was surprised that someone wasn't
hurt the way the water was splashing around in the pool.

Yeah - that water can really hurt.

The pool was like a wave pool - the water would sort of slosh up to
one end and the people in the pool had to either hold on to something
or try not to be slammed by the wave into the end of the pool. And
then the water would go back to the other end of the pool in the same
way. I've seen a boy get his arm broken at the beach in the waves so
I have no doubt the same thing could happen in a pool with waves.
Water is a very powerful force.