Old June 17th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Mark Brader

Default Washington DC and New York airports choice (USA)

Hallvard Tangeraas:
I'll be flying from Vancouver (via Toronto) into New York LaGuardia.
I've booked into Chelsea international hostel at 251 West 20th Street.
What would be the best way to get there (and preferrably without
spending a fortune, being the budget traveller that I am)?

Rita:
Here is the cheapest way, if you don't have more luggage than you
can manage on public transportation.

Take the Q33 Bus to Last Stop, Take "E" Train to 23rd Street

That is, the E train *in the direction of Manhattan*.

walk to 20th street, Left turn, house # 251

This is a very easy trip. Very short walk to the hostel once you exit the
subway at 23rd Street and 8th Avenue.

I agree that this is the best choice. An alternative is the New York
Airport Service express bus from the airport into Manhattan, but this
costs $10 and it doesn't go as near the hostel, so you'd either have a
walk with your luggage, or you'd pay another $2 for a short subway or
bus ride.

Then, when leaving New York for Switzerland I'll be going from New
York JFK.

Okay, if you want to use the subway, at 23rd and 8th go to the Downtown
(which means southbound) side of the station and ride any train for one
stop to 14th. At this point cross to the other side of the same platform
and wait for an A train that is going to any Rockaway destination (not
Lefferts Blvd).

Of course, you can skip the change of train by walking south along 8th
Avenue from the hostel to the station at 14th, instead of north to 23rd.

In any case, once on the correct A train, ride it to "Howard Beach -
JFK Airport" station. This is a long ride, 27 stops if I count correctly.
Then change to the AirTrain, paying $5 more, for the short ride into the
airport.

Considering your starting location, this is probably more convenient than
the Long Island Rail Road option or the New York Airport Service bus, for
either of which you would first have to get to from Penn Station; and the
subway is cheaper too. (The LIRR might be faster if you just catch a train.)
--
Mark Brader "Relax -- I know the procedures backwards."
Toronto "Yeah, well, that's a quick way to get killed."