Old March 18th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Jack

"Nataly" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'd like to spend May in NZ, and i was thinking about renting a 4x4 (4WD,
don't know the correct word sorry) to be able to use any road.
Yesterday i've been to a travel agency and they have a quite interesting
offer for the flight + motorhome.
So now i'm hesitating.
The problem is i don't know anything about Motorhome, especially the
technical points (water, energy, shower, and so on...).
So i would need any information, motorhome travel stories, advices,

anything
that could help me to choose.

Motorhome would give us freedom to stop quite anywhere (except in national
parks if i've understood well), to not look for a room everynight, not

look
for a restaurant to eat, but it is huge and maybe some roads would be
impossible to take with it.
I would be very sad to be stop front of a road we couldn't take and not
being able to visite a beautiful place.
The technical constraints of the motorhome are not too much troubles?

(drain
the dirty water, fill new water, energy for the light, the heating, the
cooking,...)
And as we will travel in may, wouldn't it be too cold in a motorhome?
Well here are my thoughts, i'm waiting for your advices, and more

especially
stories of travel with a motorhome.

Thank you :0)

Nataly

We drove a 6 berth motor home around South Island.

There are only two roads you are not allowed to take them on, and most hire
cars are not permitted either. We also had to shift to a car for the final
few days as the MH was booked for those days. There ws no comparison.

My advise - go for a motorhome, the biggest you can afford. Driving is no
problem, just a bit slower than a car - but you get to enjoy the scenery
much more and have the wonderfulk ability to stop virtually anywhere -
including national parks.

If you get a desiel motor - the economy is better than a car as well (fuel
is 1/2 the price).

We hired from Pacific Horizon and were very satisfied. Plenty of battery,
gas cooker and heater(essential), plenty of water and toilet. Easy!

Plan on allowing two weeks for South Island - and that will be hurrying a
bit if you wanted to stop for a few days at some places.

Matt
Reservation Heaven dot com