Old January 26th, 2008, 12:40 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
BrianK

Default OT - Cancun

On 1/25/2008 11:56 AM sue mullen did the "neutron dance", then made
these writings:

Newby wrote:
"sue mullen" wrote in message

Newby wrote:
Might be traveling to Cancun later this year, June or July. Is it

advisable
to rent a car or depend on local transportation? If I go, I would
like

visit Mayan ruins. Any recommendations as to which to see?
If you are going from a cruise, I would do a cruise ship excursion so
you will be sure the ship won't leave without you. If you are
staying in
Cancun I would rent a car so you can come and go as you please.

sue

Thanks. Not going from a cruise, that's why I posted OT. Didn't
know if
renting a car in Mexico would be a smart thing to do...or not to do.

If we hadn't been part of a very large group, we would of rented a car
to see the ruins. As others have said, be sure you accept the
insurance and you should be fine.

sue

A few key tips: Do the rental while you are home. The rates, will be a
little bit lesser. Make copies and duplicate copies of your rental
paperwork. You may need to show them a copy of your car rental
paperwork. The reservation information sometimes gets "lost" or is
different than what you contracted for.

Left turns are very different than executed in most US states. Be sure
that your on site rental agent explains it to you. Basically, you
signal for a left turn. If there are cars behind you, or oncoming -
move to the farthest right lane or shoulder and let them all pass. Only
when the coast is clear in all directions may to move back to the left
turn position and execute your turn.

Topes or Speed bumps. They go down instead of up. It's like a "U" in
the road. In rain they can fill up with water obscuring how deep they
may be. At night they aren't always clearly marked. Hit one too fast
and you can loose your suspension. Try to make mental notes of topes
location while driving in daylight.

The highway from Cancun to Chechen Itza is safer then taking local
roads. Avoid driving at night if you can. Many poorer rural Mexicans
will drive without headlights. Also, at night you may encounter
livestock, or even a puma on the roads once you are away from the city.
Trust me you don't want to be in a fender bender in Mexico. In Mexico,
you are guilty until you can prove your innocence. You are required to
remain in Mexico until the claims of both parties in an auto accident
have been settled. That's why it's so important to take the rental
agency's insurance. The agency will do everything that they can to keep
you out of jail and let you go home.

Happy and safe driving. Remember, watch out for those topes!

--
________
Brian M. Kochera