Old January 5th, 2010, 12:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
-hh

Default Brut-al

On Jan 4, 6:52*pm, Charles wrote:
In article , Tom K

wrote:
Cruise ships probably buy their liquor using their at-sea, or overseas legal
entities, or something like that, which may avoid a lot of the federal taxes
on the liquor. *If the wholesale price is 65%, a good portion of that has to
be taxes, which (guessing) they very likely can either mostly avoid, or at
least partially avoid.
I've gotta figure that they pay prices much lower than restaurants.

I don't know if it is true but I have heard that the cruise lines do
get their alcohol duty free and avoid taxes. Also since they order a
high volume I would guess get a better wholesale price than a single
restaurant or single liquor store.

In either event, then their likely price for a $10 retail is around
$5, so the 3x markup would put it at around $15, although if we apply
their rate of cork fee, it would have been around $20.

-hh