Old October 21st, 2011, 05:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mag3

Default CyberFlying???

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 09:30:09 -0400, Fly Guy wrote:

I changed the subject to something more descriptive and intelligent.

The original choice of subject (Cyberflying ??) denotes or implies some
sort of automated, robotic aircraft control mechanism or remote
telematic operation of an aircraft, which clearly is not the intent of
this thread.

Ah, good to be home again... letting the insults fling away!!! The thread
title has to do with what the videos allow people to do - "Cyberfly" - That
is, watch an aircraft in flight, taxi, etc. from the point of view of a passenger,
from the comfort of their computer screen. The point being, aside from getting
you from point "A" to "B," airline travel allows you to see the terrain from a
different perspective (ie. at 30,000ft or whatever), as opposed to being on the
ground all the time and not seeing the whole picture at once. It's nice to do
that at least once and a while. Now, I get to do it from my desk and without
having to shell out $$$ for the privilege.

And I've changed the title back!

It's pretty easy.

I've done it several times with my point-and-shoot camera, and my GPS.

[SNIP]

After they do all that crap, they sit down and strap themselves in, and
they really can't see what's going on in most of the seats on the
plane. That's when you can reline your seat, put your ear-buds or head
phones back in, and take out your camera. They can't see your camera
unless you hold it up above the seat-back in front of you

But the other passengers *can* see it, and one of them might get nosy
and take initiative (i.e. "Let's Roll!"). How do they know if you got permission from the
crew? How do they know the device you're holding is not an IED or something pointed
at the engine to make it fail after take off? And if *they* have to turn everything off for
take off/landing, why shouldn't you???

Besides, many of these videos include pushback and engine starting, when
the FAs are *not* strapped in and are still checking the aisles.

Regards,

Arnold