Old October 21st, 2011, 09:19 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_3_]

Default CyberFlying???

In message someone claiming
to be mag3 typed:

But the other passengers *can* see it, and one of them might get nosy
and take initiative (i.e. "Let's Roll!"). How do they know if you got permission from the
crew? How do they know the device you're holding is not an IED or something pointed
at the engine to make it fail after take off? And if *they* have to turn everything off for
take off/landing, why shouldn't you???

Who says they did? They're probably busy watching for the flight
attendants themselves, so they don't get busted using their BlackBerry.

At least that's my experience when I travel, but I've only flown 14,000
miles this month, your mileage may vary.

Besides, many of these videos include pushback and engine starting, when
the FAs are *not* strapped in and are still checking the aisles.

That should give you an idea of how much the flight attendants care, no?

It's not that difficult, especially if you care to not get caught. You
won't pull it off on every flight, but out of the last 6 I flew, only
once did anyone notice I had headphones on; ironically it was a flight
where you're allowed to wear headphones at all times, as long as they're
plugged into their system. I wasn't, but I motioned toward the armrest
and she nodded and moved on.

In my experience, if flight attendants know you're an experienced
traveler, they'll tend to harass you less over the little things.

Electronics aren't a security or safety issue and everyone knows it.
Nobody cares, for degrees of nobody that include the majority of
passengers.

--
It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to
steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.