Old October 22nd, 2011, 12:59 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_3_]

Default CyberFlying???

In message someone claiming
to be mag3 typed:

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 13:19:25 -0700, DevilsPGD wrote:

I'm not saying anyone did, but given what I've read recently in people being
thrown off of flights for far less severe infractions, and what with newfound "IED
awareness," it would seem something both crew and pax. would take a lot more
seriously. They did when I was flying. I thought things were actually getting
*more* strict. You're telling me no, and since you've obviously flown more than
me, lately, I'll take your word for it. But I am a little disappointed, both from a
security standpoint, and also, one of "fairness." As silly as the regulation may be
(and I agree it is), it's still a reg, and must be obeyed by all. And they're are more
reasons than just "security."

You don't need to obey regulations, just the flight attendants. If
you're personally told to do something, do it. If not, don't be a moron
and you'll be fine.

Sure, you might get the odd passenger who freaks out, but you're just as
likely to have them hiding their own phone under their jacket too.

General Safety, for one... Not that cameras/camcorders would be a huge deal, but
other devices and gear (ie. laptops etc.), should not be allowed below 10,00ft, in
order to maintain emergency egress for all and the paths clear (at a time when the
probability for an emergency egress is greatest).

Indeed. This is exactly why I don't care about my phone, or other
handheld devices. Should we need to check out quickly, I can buy a new
iPhone should I happen to survive.

Okay, or I might keep it in my pocket and become "that asshole" but only
if it fits in my pocket. Laptop? Forget it, can be replaced... But the
phone might become useful 2 minutes after getting out of the plane.

I wouldn't be real happy if someone
is futzing around with their laptop (or other devices) and blocking my exit when the
"evacuate" order is given. After all, isn't that why all that carry on stuff "must fit
completely underneath the seat in front of you or in the overhead bins," and "All
tray tables locked and seat backs returned to their full/upright position?"

Agreed. If they want to solve this they'll ban books, paper and all the
other crap that people have on their laps -- Focus the attention on what
matters, which is keeping walkways clear and attention focused.

Either that or just realize that the number of crashes/etc where time
matters is so tiny it basically doesn't matter. Either you die or not.

Maybe crews are more "educated" about electronics now. But I guess I thought that
pax. would not know the difference and would want to stop even a "perceived" threat for
security reasons, or at least bitch about someone else getting away with a reg violation.

I suspect most regular travelers have accidentally left their phone on,
seen someone else leave their phone on, heard a stowed phone ring, etc
and noticed the plane didn't fall out of the sky.

Next they noticed that water and other harmless items are being
confiscated while electronics are given a pass at airport security.

We know liquids aren't a threat because we know what happens when you
take a real threat (gun, knife, etc) through security: You're arrested.
When you take a banned non-threat through (liquid, lotion, etc) they
simply toss it in the garbage and send you on your way. That's theatre,
when the cost for getting caught is zero you can simply try over and
over and over until you get whatever you need through.

If electronics were even a theoretical threat like liquids are, they'd
be banned.

(and the joke of it is that lithium ion batteries can be rigged to
explode, it's just not particularly reliable. But it's arguably easier
to rig up than liquids)

Besides, many of these videos include pushback and engine starting, when
the FAs are *not* strapped in and are still checking the aisles.

That should give you an idea of how much the flight attendants care, no?

Sadly, yes.

Why sadly? They have real issues to worry about, non-safety related
rules aren't worth their effort at this point in the flight.

--
It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to
steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.