Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Getting from Alexandria to Cairo

On 21 Jan 2006 07:58:03 -0800, wrote:

We hate cruise excursions too. About 8 years ago, we took the same
trip. We went to Cairo by train. City bus to and from pyramids after
visiting the Cairo Musuem. Came back from Cairo by 12 passenger bus
after dark because we did not want to wait for the next train.

Can you tell me how easy it was to get from the port to the station? I
can't seem to find any info on how easy it is for the independent,
language inhibited tourist to get to the station and buy a ticket etc.

Two mistakes we made:
1. we went to the wrong pyramid gate so we had to ride to the pyramids
by camel as walking was not allowed.
2. We paid the first bus driver that we saw(there were many) and we had
to wait for him to sell the last ten seats.

I figure that if we go by train to Cairo, we'll take a guided tour
from there and avoid all that.

If you do not like NYC subways, you may not like Cairo Buses.

We haven't ever been to NYC - we're in Australia! 8*)

We were 55yo at the time.

Well we're approaching 60 but we've done a bit of independent travel.

Thanks for your comments!

Bob T.