Old February 26th, 2006, 11:00 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Bad Year to Go To East Africa?

In message
"Michael Kilpatrick" wrote:

Any idea of how this affects game viewing in Kenya and Tanzania?

It's obviously a tragedy for the local people and animals, but I am
considering a vist to East Africa later this year. It's so expensive I
want, as far as possible, to avoid going
at a bad time.

As Bill says, it doesn't seem like the drought is biting Tz as much as
northern/eastern Kenya.

However, I chanced upon a blog yesterday being written by a woman
living with Samburu people, and on 17th Feb she was writing in detail
about the effects of the drought.
Suddenly on 23rd Feb she wrote a throwaway line about the difficulty
of driving to Nakuru 'because we have the rains' - no more detail!

So I looked up the Beeb weather, and both Nairobi and Nakuru are
listed as having 'light showers', though Maralal is dry/hot/sunny.
(only about 18 Kenyan towns listed)

The rains might come yet!

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz: http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos