Old August 14th, 2009, 05:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
skipfromla

Default Cruise or not

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 20:56:02 -0500, "ND-TX" wrote:

"Skipfromla" wrote in message
.. .
In 1999, we took an Alaskan cruise on the Norwegian Wind, the only
cruise we've been on. The service couldn't was wonderful and I don't
see how it could have been better, possibly because of assigned meal
seatings with the same table, same waiter, same cabin steward and tips
in cash at the end of the cruise. The food was wonderful, so good in
fact, we never went to the one extra-pay restaurant.

We were thinking of taking another cruise but after speaking to
several friends about their resent cruises, we may not. Every one of
them said the freestyle dining and tips that are added to your bill
that don't reflect service levels, have caused a severe decline in
service. They also mentioned that the quality of food and attitude of
the crew had been less than acceptable.

Some of my friends, just about all of them cruising on different
cruise lines, were told essentially the same thing by crew members,
that there was no point in going that extra mile in service to the
passengers because they don't get more in tips if they give good
service and don't get less if they give minimal service or maybe even
poorer service. The crew member also said that the tips are now also
going to the salaried people behind the scenes, not just those who
live on their tips and went on to say that the company was charging a
percentage of the tips for a processing fee that comes out of the
pockets of the crew. I have no idea if all this is really true but it
sounds like it could be.

If we are going to spend that much money on a cruise, we expect great
service and food. If we can be expected to be treated like cattle, I
have no interest in cruising.

Skip

We just got back from an Alaskan cruise on Serenade OTS (Royal Caribbean).
Our 6th cruise, 5th on RCL - and the best so far, though we never had a bad
cruise. The service was better than ever, the food was good (though I'd say
a notch worse than before). No, we were not treated like cattle. We loved
the cruise overall so much, we immediately booked another cruise in
November. Call us crazy, if you will.

Of course, this is RCL, so "free-style-cruising" is optional, and automatic
tipping too. So we chose assigned seating (early) and personal tipping.
Service was very personal. Waiters remembered our names, eating/drinking
habits, etc. We shared a lot of laughs, hugs at the end, etc. Cabin
attendant did his job well.

I know RCCL has free-style cruising (which most likely requires automatic
tipping), meaning random waiters every night - and therefore random service.

On RCL even during open seating (breakfast, lunch) the service was good. It
was just better in the evening.

Sorry, I'm rambling.

Happy sailings everyone.

NND-TX

I appreciate what you hafe to say. What rambling? Thanks for your
comments.