Old September 25th, 2008, 10:52 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Janet Wilder

Default Planes in Europe

Graham Harrison wrote:

My experience is that even if you only say "hello" in the local language
and then ask "do you speak English" that people (be they check in
agents, hotel staff or just anyone) are almost always helpful and
friendly. If they indicate they don't speak English then mime works
surprisingly well and if that fails just smile, say thank you
(preferably in local language) and move on. Many people see English as
something they want to learn and practice (I'm not sure I think that's a
good thing but there you are). I recently spent 3 weeks in Japan and
that seemed to work for me (and actually, I don't think I ever had to
move on).

I have had the same experience traveling in Mexico and Central America.
Most people want to try out their English on us.

Turn the problem on its' head. If someone approached you and spoke no
English but did speak French would you refuse to help? You might have
to ask them to speak slowly and repeat a few words but I bet you would
do your best. It's all a matter of give and take. You try their
language, they try yours, smile, mime, be friendly.

I can't begin to count the number of times I have interpreted for French
Canadians traveling in the US and also in Mexico.

This will be my first trip to Europe. I'm a senior citizen and a little
nervous about it. So shoot me.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation