Old December 17th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Icono Clast

[NOTE: This is cross-posted to rec.roller-coaster.
If you choose to return to the original subject, please delete that
group from your reply.]

mo wrote:
that doesnt look hardcore enough -

Generally speaking, "theme" parks don't have hardcore rides. If you
think Coney Island's "Cyclone" isn't hardco

Icono Clast Sep 16 1999, 12:00 am
Newsgroups: rec.roller-coaster
Subject: Ribs & Rollercoasters.....

Robert Vaccaro wrote:
I'm sitting here with three fractured ribs,

You have my empathy. I cracked a rib in a motorcycle accident; the
Coney Island Cyclone braked me into an iron bar hard enough to crack
a rib; a wet ride in Arlington cracked my sternum. Not fun stuff.

Why aren't all wooden coaster trains richly upholstered

In my youth, all of them were! has nicely
upholstered trains similar to the old ones. They're very nice and
comfortable but still don't have hold-on places.

mo wrote:
"Rita" wrote:
Coney Island is a New York neighborhood where the Coney Island
amusement park is located.

The "Cyclone" is at AstroLand.

we want somwhere that has rides similar to Alton towers in the UK but
bigger and scarier!

Aw, c'mon. Those are among the mildest rides on the planet. "Oblivion"
is certainly interesting and the terrain steel-coaster's theming is
excellent, but the rides aren't much. I wasn't impressed with Blackpool
Pleasure Beach, either, but "Grand National" was closed the day I was
there. The hyper there has one trick and it's over. Dullsville.

[Darien Lake] I mean that has ride like Superman which look awesome.

It's a nice ride but it can't compare to Riverside Amusement Park's that
isn't very far from New York.
Superman: Ride of Steel: http://shorterlink.com/?W15HVK
Don't let the name fool you; even though it's a steel-coaster, this one
isn't like the others of the same name.

But, for a real roller-coaster:
Shivering Timbers: http://makeashorterlink.com/?U28A23C0A
Unfortunately, it's in Michigan. Many people think "Tonnere de Zeus" is
as good but I don't.

what other large theme park companies are there in the USA?

You should avoid any and all such companies that have more than one
venue. What they're doing these days is building duplicate rides,
sometimes changing the name. You travel great distances and spend
lots of money for exactly the same thing you have at home. My first
experience of this was visiting DisneyWorld that was little different
from DisneyLand. I was furious that I'd allowed myself to be so con'd.
The other Disney venues are probably much the same.

Universal Studios in Orlando, however, is a wonderful exception. If one
must choose but one "theme" park, that would be my enthusiastic
recommendation.
A roller-coaster freak in San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net