Old October 9th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Heikki Kantola

Default Nice hotel in Helsinki for nice price?

bigbrian informed
rec.travel.europe with the following:
In a slightly related issue, I'll be passing through Helsinki airport
the week before Christmas and unfortunately have about 8 hours (8.30
am to 17.00 pm) between my incoming domestic flight from Lapland, and
my onward connection to London. Is there anything I can do,
particularly either at the airport, or nearby, to keep a 7 year old
child entertained for that long?

At the Helsinki-Vantaa airport the most interesting things to do are
probably shopping and watching the airplanes. So given that you that
much time it should be no problem to get out of the airport. If you
want to stay closer to the airport, I think Heureka Science Center¹ in
Tikkurila could be a decent place for a visit. The only problem with
that might be the fact that they open only at 10 o'clock. Further away
in the actual City of Helsinki (Tikkurila and Helsinki-Vantaa airport
at Seutula are located in City of Vantaa), I think the Korkeasaari
Zoo² would be one of the most obvious places to take a child. The Zoo
also opens at 10, but that should not be a problem as with public
transportation it easily takes at least hour to get there. Assuming the
travel date happens to be a weekday, unfortunately this time of year
the public transportation don't go very near the Zoo, the closest bus
stops and Kulosaari metro station are about 2 km away.

¹ URL:http://www.heureka.fi/
² URL:http://www.hel.fi/zoo/index_eng.html
--
Heikki "Hezu" Kantola,
Lähettämällä mainoksia tai muuta asiatonta sähköpostia yllä olevaan