Old February 25th, 2009, 04:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

Default Film really is dead, especially for travel

"James Silverton" wrote in message
"poldy" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"William Black" wrote:

Even if I gathered all these materials, it's not likely the places I
would like to photograph would permit tripods or long setups.

Why not?

Have you considered asking them.

The reality is that many major European places of interest that
restrict photography will sell you a license to take pictures, but
they'd much rather sell you their own professionally produced
photographs.

That is becoming more common. If they don't restrict cameras
altogether, they won't tolerate someone slowing down the flow of
traffic with a tripod which takes up a big footprint.

And in churches, they consider themselves places of worship and don't
charge for entry so they're doing you a favor and setting up anything
other than a quick snap with tripod and so on is probably abusing that
favor.

Or I can at least understand that POV.

Using a tripod will probably have an eagle-eyed verger come to you and
ask, often very politely, for a small fee.

Of course if you're at a UK National Trust property they'll bounce up and
demand a huge fee for a license to take photographs...

--
William Black

Time for tea.