Old June 11th, 2011, 09:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ken Blake[_2_]

Default dollars and credit cards

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 22:47:23 -0500, VOLTS
wrote:

hi sir, just me and my wife only. sir for 17 days only west coast, san
francisco, LA and vegas. will $7,000 cash excluding our credit cards
combined will be around $5,000 fit for the trip? we'll be staying in
hotels $80 to $100 a day, take public transport, we don't dine at
expensive restaurants, a little shopping mostly souvenirs.

$100 a day for 17 days is $1700. Add another $100 a day for
inexpensive restaurants and $200 for a few souvenirs, and the total
comes to $3600. Even if you don't charge any of it, $3600 is nowhere
near $7000. Double the $100 a day for restaurants and it still comes
to only $5300

And in the extremely unlikely event that you run out of cash, you can
simply charge more to the credit cards or use the credit cards to get
additional cash from an ATM machine. It seems to me that you are
worrying about nothing.

By the way, when I travel, I take nowhere near that amount of cash
with me, since I don't want to risk losing it to a thief. I charge
almost everything on a credit card and use ATM machines as necessary
to get much smaller amounts of cash.

--
Ken Blake