Old March 6th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Steven M. Scharf

Default Another Word on Mobile (Cell) GSM Phones in Europe

(emeryt) wrote in message
. com...
Please comment, I want to hear from you.

First, some assumptions...

1) I need a mobile phone while in Europe on vacation. Yes it can be
costly vs. calling cards, but it gives me immediate access, as well as
allows work and family to call at anytime. Anyways, I now own a
900/1800 GSM phone (unlocked).
2) I expect no more that 150 minutes total usage (incoming and
outgoing).
3) I will only use it in Western Europe countries, ie Zone 1.
4) I will be in 5 countries in 30 days, mostly France, Germany and
Italy.
5) The initial cost of a country's SIM card is pricey.

Now the deductions...

Well, I have explored this board, and many other websites that deal
with GSM mobile phone useage in Europe, and I have to say, you've
given me a lot of great information. But as a traveler to Europe for
only the second time, one thing still puzzles me. Should I buy
several different country SIM cards or just buy 1 SIM from one country
and purchase extra minutes? For my situation and travel itinerary,
I've concluded that it makes more sense to do the latter. Cmon
people, tell me if I'm wrong!

You are wrong because the country specific prepaid SIM cards usually don't
work outside of that country. I.e., you can't use a prepaid SIM card on an
Italian carrier in France, you'll have to get a new SIM card in France (with
a new phone number). Since you want people to be able to contact you, you'd
better have a single number for the whole trip.

You can see a comparison of the worldwide prepaid SIM cards on my web site:
http://earthroam.com.

Since you are only going to Europe, United Mobile will be the cheapest
start-up cost, but you have to have a compatible phone, only a very few GSM
phones will work on their system.

Hop Mobile is probably a better deal as you can use most any phone. Note
that it's cheaper to buy Hop Mobile direct than to go through their U.S.
reseller Telestial. There are some contradictions between Hop Mobile's site,
and the site of their U.S. reseller, i.e. one says that there is a per call
connection fee, one doesn't, and the list of countries is different (but no
problem in Europe).