Old January 31st, 2005, 05:18 PM

Claim Guy wrote:
I will be travelling to NYC, for the first time, in mid March.

I always do my own travel planning but I must admit I am bewildered

by the
variety of options for finding accommodation in New York.

Most websites break down the locations into 10 or more sub-areas,

with at
least 5 in Manhattan alone. I dunno; is the Upper East side a better

place
to be than Midtown, Soho, etc..? If you could advise a first timer,

where
would you suggest that they situate themselves?

Functionally, midtown is a good place. This is basically because
it literally puts you in the middle of Manhattan. It will cut down
on your travel time to many places. The Village and SoHo are
nice too although much further south. But they might just be
a tad more equidistant between the places you'll actually visit
(basically from Battery Park up to about 90th or so in Central Park).
To some extent you probably have to decide where you'll be spending
your evenings since that is probably when being "close to home" has
it's greatest value. Gonna do theater at night? Midtown. Tend
to eat more down in the Village? Some folks prefer the uptown
restaurants on the Upper West side.

We will get all over Manhattan in the 4 days, I'm sure, so being

really
close to a couple of the major sites (museums, etc.) is not critical.

But we
would like the location of the hotel to afford some local ambience

(and I'm
not into "edgy" ambience) that we can enjoy every day. No car,

obviously, we
will cab it or use the subway.

The question is which local ambiance. Manhattan, and the other
buroughs are extremely distinct. One of the more interesting part
of NYC is the large, and rapid, variation. There is no singular
character. That said, downtown near Battery Park is kinda dead
after 5 pm so that may not be your best bet. The Upper East side
always has a "on the outside looking in" feel to me where as
staying down in The Village I get more of a feeling that I live there.
Midtown will have more of a feeling of being in "NYC World" especially
over around Times Square. Upper West side has a bit more of a
Village/SoHo feel to me as well. But these are all personal
impressions.
Truth is, if you want to live with the majority of New Yorkers,
you'll stay across the east river in Brooklyn or the Bronx, maybe
even Queens, but I wouldn't personally recommend that for a first time
visitor.

3 or 4 star (4 if it is a good deal) accommodation, with some

character is
our style.

Any specific hotel, or activity recommendations would also be

appreciated. 4
days will leave so much undone, I think I'm already committed to a

return
trip.

Especially that time of year, I'd seriously consider making a bid
at Priceline.com. As long as there aren't more than 2 of you, you
should do okay. I've seen some rooms going for around $125 lately.