Old April 20th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Dave Etzler

Default Grand Lido by SuperClub Negril questions

I just got back from Negril two days ago. Had a great time. Didn't stay at
an a/i, and was in and out of the town and area all the time. Walked up and
down the beach, walked around town, walked up and down the road, went up
into the hills to Mayfield Falls, went over to Black River for the Jamaican
Horticultural Society show on Easter Monday, and never felt unsafe. Hung
out with a Rasta fruit seller up in the hills. No problem there.

I wouldn't go to a place where I had to stay in the "compound" and was told
it was unsafe out there with the locals. If you are staying in Kingston, I
would recommend another place. Negril is quite different. There are few
hassles there. You want to learn to respect the locals. since they are
trying to make a living in a terrible economy which is highly competitive
for the tourist dollar. They are very good sales people, and this sometimes
causes discomfort for those not used to the pressure that they are under.
They are also a polite and respectful society, for the most part.

While I was at Selina's restaurant for a get-together of people who hang out
at Negril.com, some people who were there were almost forcibly detained by
Couples resort. They didn't want them off the "compound" and wanted them to
just be hostage inside. Then the taxi inside wanted $30 US to take them to
town. Walking outside got them a cab for $5 US.

Grand Lido has a good reputation for food and drink and ammenities. I would
definitely go, but would also learn more about the area and get out where
the real people are and head to some local restaurants and bars and night
spots. Well worth the time and little expense.

Sometime I would recommend staying at one of the many little places in
Negril. Firefly is our favorite, and we've been going there since 1985!

Dave

"LVTravel" wrote in message
Anyone been there recently and how are the accomodations? Food? Water
activities and Golf?

Is it safe to go out of the compound? (Have heard of reports of locals
hassling non-locals)

Looking to go in January or February of 2005.