Old February 4th, 2008, 04:43 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.africa
John Kulp

Default Malaria and Mosquito Repellent

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 06:44:53 -0800 (PST), -hh
wrote:

"William Black" wrote:

Malaria medication can have some nasty side-effects,
=A0especially if taken for longer than eight weeks or so.

Plus they each have their trade-offs. FWIW, one of them (I forget
which: its the one that is one pill per week) has a side effect
warning of "vivid dreams" ... this is a polite way of saying
"nightmares". I've taken this stuff, and I found that my balance was
off on the day after taking it (got less bad over time).

In India I find that decent anti-insect discipline...
...and rub on DEET (about 30% works, =A0anything over 50%
irritates my skin) about an hour before dusk if going out of doors.

DEET is a known carcinogen, so it is wise to limit your exposure
instead of bathing in the stuff. This means to be aware of both how
many hours/day its on your skin, as well as the concentration level in
use.

Not in humans it hasn't though Alan has a medical condition so he
should see his doctor and discuss DEET and its particular use in his
case.