Old April 29th, 2008, 01:06 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,aus.computers,aus.electronics
Alan S[_1_]

Default Electrical Power in Australia and NZ

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:42:25 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:50:31 +0000 (UTC), C. Dewick
wrote:

Ken Blake writes:

I live in the US, where we have 120V 60 cycle electrical power. What
is used in Australia and NZ? Is it 240V 50, as in most of Europe, or
something else? My laptop can use either, and I have a plug converter
for Australia, but do I also need a transformer?

Yes it's 240 VAC, 50 Hz nominal. The variance is generally specified to be
+/- 10 VAC so in reality the nominal voltage, depending where you are and
what sort of loads are on the local supply grid, will be anywhere between
230 and 250 VAC.

If your laptop has a power supply that works with both supply types, all you
need is the right mains cord with an Australian 3-pin plug to connect your
laptop to an Australian GPO (general purpose outlet).

Also will my US-to-Australia plug connector work in NZ, or do I need a
different one there?

I believe the voltage in NZ is the same as here, but the plug is different.
Might be wrong.

Thanks very much. Anyone know for sure about NZ?

Yes.

Start he
http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

Cheers, Alan, Australia