Old February 24th, 2010, 03:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Default Whole bratwurst versus cut-up bratwurst

Am Wed, 24 Feb 2010 06:48:46 -0800 (PST) schrieb baroque-quest:

I do not like currywurst. I prefer regular bratwurst with senf,
especially Thüringer Rostbratwurst. I noticed that in Berlin the
usual custom seems to be to cut-up bratwurst in bite-sized pieces and
add a toothpick as a utensil.

To cut up the Wurst is only common when you have "Currywurst", then they
put a rather spicy mixture of ketchup and curry over it.

Would someone please tell me the German
for "cut-up" versus "whole" so I can ask the vendor to just give me a
whole (uncut) bratwurst?

"Cut-up" would be "klein geschnitten". "Whole" would be "ganz". Or you
could simply say "Bitte die Wurst nicht klein schneiden".

Is cut-up bratwurst a custom in other cities or only in Berlin?

"Currywurst" is also common in the Ruhrgebiet-area (Essen, Duisburg,
Dortmund) and can probably be had in any German city, if you ask for it.
But it is only done when you have the wurst with curry-sauce over it.
Otherwise you'll get it in one piece.

Nürnberg has yummy pinkie-sized bratwurst. What kind of bratwurst is
typical in Hamburg?

Hamburg is not really famous for it's Wurst - as it is near the coast, the
typical snack would rather be a "Fischbroetchen" (=roll with herring or
some other fish in it, often pickled with onions and eaten cold).

In Stuttgart?

Don't really know about there, but if you go further South to Bavaria
you'll have the "Weisswurst", a white sausage that is cooked and eaten with
mustard. The skin is a bit tough, so most people cut it off. Traditionally
you have to eat it before 12 o'clock noon. And have a beer with it ;-)

Regards,

Frank