Old December 17th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Frank Slootweg

Gerrit wrote:
Frank

I omitted to tell that the ATMs I tried to use Plus on had the symbol
displayed, so I was most dissappointed when it didn't work.
Why should they show the symbol and then not support the service?
That's when I went inside the bank to ask and they couldn't tell what
Plus was supposed to do. Black mark for Dutch banks. And it wasn't
only ABN-AMRO! I tried at two others as well.
Wouldn't have been so bad except that I have two Visa cards with two
different banks and the one I have loaded with cash (so that I can
withdraw cash without immediately incurring interest charges)is NOT
the one connected to my cheque account :-(

G'day Gerrit,

Your article . com
was an 'orphan' (i.e. no References: header, i.e. not 'connected' to
another article), probably because you now posted via Google Groups (Bad
boy! Bad, bad boy! :-)). I have reconnected this response in the
original thread (as a response to your article in that thread).

I have re-read your earlier response
).

I now understand things a little better. What you are talking about
("Plus") is using a card which is *primarily* a *credit* card, to
*directly* withdraw (in an ATM) money from your chequing or savings
account (whichever is connected on the card). I.e. in other words, you
use a "credit" card as if it was a *debit* card.

I am afraid I have no experience with such cards/functions. The cards
we (i.e. my wife and I, *not* "The Netherlands") have are either
purely credit cards (both with a MasterCard logo) or purely debit cards
(both with a Meastro logo) (see footnote).

I have never heard of "Plus", or at least not noted it. On my next ATM
visits (in The Netherlands) I will look for it, but don't hold your
breath, because I live in a small village.

So I can only give our experience with our (seperate) 'European'/Dutch
credit and debit cards:

As I mentioned, I *never* had a problem with my debit (nor credit)
card in any ATM, in Europe and Australia, but *have* had problems with
(four) debit *and* credit cards for *withdrawing* money at EFTPOS
establishments in Australia.

[footnote:]

One of the debit cards we use in ATMs, an ABN-AMRO Worldpass
("Wereldpas"), says to use an ATM with the "Maestro Cirrus logo" [1]. It
refers [2] to the "ATM Locator" [3], but that one shows the MasterCard,
Maestro and Cirrus logos, so it is hard to tell which logo is for what.
Also the "Frequently Asked Questions" at [3] does not make it any
clearer (for me). As far as I know, MasterCard is a *credit*card-only
logo, so I assume the neccessary logo for a *debit*card is Meastro
or/and Cirrus. We have had discussions in this group about Maestro and
Cirrus in the past, but at the time nobody knew exactly what is for what
(i.e. pay versus withdraw, creditcard versus debitcard, etc.).

[1] http://www.abnamro.nl/nl/particulier/vakantie/overzicht.html and
click on the "alle betaalmogelijkheden" link in the "Betalen in het
buitenland" section.

[2] Same site and section, but "MasterCard" link.

[3] http://www.mastercard.com/atmlocator/index.jsp via
http://www.mastercard.com/cobrand/maestro/atm