Old November 25th, 2005, 02:51 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Second question from newbie: ATM usage in South Africa

Marc Lurie wrote:

It is my understanding that ALL Mastercard, Visa, and Cirrus cards
will work in the vast majority of ATM's in South Africa.

AFAIK, almost every ATM is branded with all three logos, and will
almost certainly work.

Even in the unlikely event that they don't work, you can still use
your Visa or Mastercard to pay for almost everything in South Africa,
and if you need cash, all it takes is a visit to a bank.

Banks are open from 9am to 3:30pm every weekday, and 9am to 12:30pm on
Saturdays, even in small towns.

Just about the only thing you can't buy on a credit card in South
Africa is petrol and diesel.

If I were you, I'd bring a few hundred dollars in notes to change at a
forex bureau when you need the cash, and use the credit cards for
everything else.

Thank you, Marc. (Again.)

You not only found the question, but provided a very helpful response.