Old January 15th, 2006, 07:19 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Shimba Hills National Park

In message
"Rydale" wrote:

Has anyone got any useful info or experiences of this park?

Hard to say if it's going to be useful *to you*, but I have a page at:
http://www.v-liz.com/safari/shimba.htm

In particular, what's the best way to arrange a couple of days there?

Hard to say what would be best *for you*!

I know all (?) the hotels on the beach will arrange trips, but I'm sure I
can do better booking ahead.

Not necessarily, again it depends what you mean by 'do better'.
If the lodge isn't full, for example, you *might* be able to negotiate
a better 'last minute' deal, but I've never tried - safaris are too
short to waste time haggling.

Is it better to stay in the lodge, or camping?

Again, it's hard to say what would be better 'for you'.
I'd sooner pull out my hair than do rough camping, but you might love
it.
The lodge is absolutely fine (it was in the Block chain when we were
there in July '99 - you can see the typical 'grey month' lighting):
There was the cutest Bushbaby/Galago which came in at dinner time and
went round the tables 'begging' for fruit. We saw no animals or birds
at the waterhole or from the treetop walk: this varies, though - other
reports have mentioned sightings.

Any tips?

We went specifically to see/photograph/draw Sable Antelope and weren't
disappointed, though it took us a while to find them; but when we
went, there were very few other species, even birds, to be seen. aybe
that's July, or maybe just bad luck on the afternoon/morning we were
there. Interestingly 'different' habitat compared to the other parks.

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz: http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos