Old January 18th, 2006, 10:06 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Shimba Hills National Park

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:32:11 GMT, Rydale wrote:

I'm no expert on spiders, but did find this guy on Diani Beach last year -

http://www.tomalin.org/bedford/kenya...s/IMG_1535.jpg

I think its a form of Golden Orb spider (Nephila) - around 10-15cm long (oh
yes!) - but no idea if its poisonous.
It was in a colony of half a dozen or so - many webs all in one area.

I did keep a sensible distance.

Charles,

no need to be overly careful. Web spiders don't suddenly jump at
you or anything like that. They are usually somewhat poisonous
though, so don't try to pick one out of his net by hand.

The photo is interesting, because there seems to be a female and
a much smaller male.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.