Old September 11th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Gerry Scott-Moore

Default Getting to know people in Japan

In article , Hallvard
Tangeraas wrote:

I'll be going to Japan during spring 2004 and worry a lot about how I'm
going to figure stuff out, get around, find (cheap) places to stay etc.

I heartily suggest you take a conversational Japanese class somewhere
and take a bit of time with a phrase book. It will help immeasurably.
You don't need a lot to get by. In Japan or most places. But you have
to roll up your sleeves and do it. Natives *love* that you're making
an attempt. With the possible exception of Parisians. But they
probably love that it when Norwegians make an attempt!

I talked with someone here who had been to Japan for a month, though
staying with friends at (expensive!!!) hotels etc. and was suggested
that I try to get to know people in Japan through the Internet who I
could hook up when I get there.

I was told that a lot of Japanese people are curious about getting to
know foreigners, and would happily show you around and help in exchange
for speaking English with you.

Being from Norway I was furthermore told that my country is considered
an attractive option for visiting, so perhaps I could even offer someone
in Japan a free stay if they come here, if they help me out in Japan.
Any ideas, suggestions about all of this?
I don't suppose anyone in Japan reads this newsgroup?

Actually they do; a guy posted that he was interested in showing people
around his town, Kyoto, so he could work on his English. He seemed
nice. But that's one town, one afternoon.

I've met a few Japanese or American expats but have never actually made
contact with them. It seems kind of low yield.

--
///---