Old October 26th, 2003, 01:07 PM
AsiaWanderer

Default Stupid european airlines require Thai visa before boarding

I`ve taken 2 r-t flights to Thailand from the US, one for 8 months and
one for 4, without any mention of a visa requirement by the US travel
agents or the airlines on which I flew (China Airways and EVA), so I
don`t know why this is such an issue in Germany. Thailand has the same
visa rules for both the US and Germany, I believe, so why don`t the US
travel agents mention this?

Also, I`ve never been turned back by the Thais at the BKK airport for
lack of visa or onward ticket, or even had the issue mentioned by Thai
immigration. I simply get the 30 day entry permit, so what`s said and
what`s done is very contradictory.

I`ll probably end up shelling out 25 USD for the 2 month Thai visa,
and hope that will be enough (though obviously it won`t cover a 6
month visit. I don`t think I can even get a 6 month visa). As I said,
I`ll only be spending a month in Thailand anyway. The rest will be
elsewhere. It still seems stupid.

"Sjoerd" wrote in message ...
"Thomas F. Unke" schreef in bericht
(AsiaWanderer) writes:

hi all,

I`ll be travelling from Berlin to Bangkok for 6 months and
then returning to Berlin. The travel agent here says that
Lufthansa and other local airlines require a visa covering the
length of your stay, or they won`t let you board.
The Berlin Thai embassy will only give me a 2 month visa,
so, what to do?

I have the same experience with several airlines in Germany.

I normally flew to Thailand without a visa at all, having my return
flight several months later.

At checkin, they ask for a visa. I thell them that I don't need a visa
for a stay of 30 days. They complain that my return flight is later. I
tell them that I travel to neighbouring countries, returning to
Thailand at the end of the tour. They make a lot of noise, check their
computer about Thai visa regulations. I show them my credit cards and
other funds.

Finally they let me fly. But it was a hassle. And I'm not sure about
the future. This happened with LH, BA, KLM.

In case you have a visa, the situation may be better. Thailand would
not refuse you with a visa, even if your return flight is after the
visa has expired.

Stupid regulations. The airlines now start to do some preemptive visa
check, just like a passport officer. But these are just ground
stewardesses without any knowledge.

Nothing stupid.

Here are the official rules from Thai Immigration:

Passport required (recommended to be valid 6 months after
period of stay. However, Thai immigration will accept passports
which are only valid for period of intended stay).

Visa not required for a max. stay up to 30 days provided
holding confirmed return/onward ticket. Extension up to 10 days

possible. Fee THB 500.- (1 photo required).

If holding APEC Business Travel Card together with passport:
visa not required.

Entry may be refused if of "hippy" appearance.

Airline staff may travel on standby ticket together with an
airline-identity card.

Visitor must hold all documents for next destination.

If being over 12 years of age visitor must also hold
sufficient funds (e.g. letter of credit, vouchers, MCOs
or well-known credit cards) to cover period of stay (not
applicable if holding re-entry visa).

Non-compliance with the visa regulations will result in:

- refusal and immediate deportation of passenger;
- fines for the airline of THB 20,000,-;
- overstay fine for passenger of THB 200,- per day.

Timaticweb Version 1.3