Old October 27th, 2003, 05:50 AM
Chris Blunt

Default Stupid european airlines require Thai visa before boarding

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:42:21 GMT, Thomas F. Unke
wrote:

"Sjoerd" writes:

No. The airline is no substitute for a passport control.

Actually they are, in a way.

Nonsense. You don't understand the difference between a government
officer and some private business.

That's why they have access to information systems with all the
immigration rules of all the countries in the world.

They don't have the complete rules. These are much too complicate to
be included in airline reservation systems. Governement officers get a
regular training on these, just for their own country.

You are totally clueless. Airlines are fined every day at various
countries

Let's see how much knowledge you have. We discuss the Thai
immigration rules here.

Now give us the facts:

How many tourists have been refused entry because of no onward
booking?

How much did airlines have to pay because of that?

How many airlines were fined because they transported someone who
looked like a "hippy"?

I'm rather interested how much clue you have. Now it's your turn. And
I'm not interested in some theories, but in facts.

Admit it. You have no idea about the rules and regulations of
international air travel.

And you have no idea of the difference of some bureaucratic rules
which nobody observes, even the Thai officers do not, and stubborn
checkin personel who believes to be god because they have a printed
rule in their computer.

And yes, I talk form experience, not from some gossip. These airlines
actually just make noise, hassle the customers and finally let you fly
anyway. This is what annoys me.

Thomas, I think Sjoerd is right on this one. Most countries require
airlines flying into them to ensure that passengers meet their entry
requirements. That means checking that they hold any necessary visas,
that their passports have the required amount of time remaining, and
they hold any onward or return tickets that may be needed. If, on
arrival, a passenger is denied entry to the country, the airline is
required to return them to their point of origin at their expense and
is subject to a heavy fine.