Old July 19th, 2006, 04:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc
B Vaughan

Default Chirac warns of 'African flood'

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:12:40 +0200, Marc Lurie
wrote:

On 17 Jul 2006 03:46:35 -0700, "Hooverphonic"
wrote:

When conflict used to arise a tribe would move on to greener pastures.
These days that is impossible without causing conflict, because
somebody else is already living there.

This is an extremely simplistic view. And while it may have held some
merit at some stage, the fact of the matter is that people aren't
nomadic any more.

There have been no significant numbers of nomads anywhere on earth for
the past two hundred years, so your point is completely moot.

And most Africans have been settled farmers for many centuries. They
may have occasionally moved to greener pastures for various reasons,
but most of them were never nomads, at least for the last 1000 years
or so.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it