Old February 26th, 2006, 12:05 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Bad Year to Go To East Africa?

In message
"Michael Kilpatrick" wrote:

Thanks Liz

Yes, it could all change - I'm pretty much forced to plan at least 4 mnths
ahead because of work, so I might just have to hope for the best.

Tell me about it!
In fact, if you leave it too late, you might find it a lot harder to
arrange exactly what you're looking for, since as Dave says, tourism
has picked up.

I think you have to plan as best you can, but try to have a flexible
mindset. For example, when we went to Seychelles, I had the whole
thing planned out to include a day on Fregate to see the Magpie Robin,
which at that time was only to be found there (some have since been
located onto another island as 'insurance'. But when we got to
Praslin, they'd changed the flight days, and the only day we could
have gone there was the day we had to go back to Mahe to connect back
to Nairobi and onwards. Sooooooooo frustrating, but I learned things
about myself that I didn't like (I seemed to be on the verge of a
'toddler tantrum'!) and learned about the importance of 'accepting the
things I can't change', and relaxing and enjoying the moment.
(Ironically, the flight to Nairobi was cancelled, meaning a delay of
30 hours, but that's another story).

The best way to hedge your bets might be to plan on enjoying seeing
things other than the migration, so not spending all your time in one
place, e.g. Ngorongoro is great most of the year. Although some people
have complained about the crowds, we had our own vehicle/guide so
could do what we wanted. We even had late lunches so the thieving
Kites were already sated by the time we got to the picnic site. It's
cool in the Caldera in July, and cold at the rim where the lodges are.
The Texans and people from Florida were wearing puffa jackets (!), but
we're made of sterner stuff - a fleece was fine on the rim, and a
long-sleeved shirt over the t-shirt in the caldera, for most of the
day.

Safari njema

Liz

--
Virtual Liz: http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos