Old February 26th, 2006, 12:15 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Bad Year to Go To East Africa?

In message
"Michael Kilpatrick" wrote:

Thanks again Liz. That sounds like well informed advice.

How would you get around between the lodges?

In Sth Africa I would just hire a car but I'm having real trouble finding an
option that doesn't involve booking into a tour, or hiring a guide who
would be with me for the whole trip (which seems a bit of an odd way
of doing things).

Interesting info from Bill that you must have a guide. That must be
new, we definitely met people who were self-driving when we were in
Tz.
However, having a guide for the whole trip is IMO the best bet since
they can get used to you and your quirks, and get to know what you're
interested in and help you to find it.
I don't know if you can fly from lodge to lodge in Tz like you can in
Kenya, if so you can go out with the lodge guides, who are likely to
be very good, but you have no control over who else is in your vehicle
and you'd probably have to compromise on interests.

IMO, the guides are worth every penny (they're not paid all that well
by our terms, so aren't as expensive as you might think) since they
know the area well and can help you find things you'd find difficult
on your own. They know the language and can get additional info from
other people, and they have the infrastructure in case of vehicular
problems: they all help each other, but often, understandably, don't
help self-drivers in difficulties (though sometimes they do,
especially if they might be in danger).

YMMV etc.

Safari njema

Liz
--
Virtual Liz: http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos