Old February 26th, 2006, 03:16 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Bad Year to Go To East Africa?

In message . com
"Bill" wrote:

Liz writes ..

Interesting info from Bill that you must have a guide. That must
be new, we definitely met people who were self-driving when we
were in Tz

I've only been there once so I could easily be wrong, but what we were
told is you can drive around on your own and even stay at campgrounds
outside the parks, but you couldn't visit parks like Serengeti or the
Ngorongoro crater without a guide. Maybe it's different for Africans.
The paperwork was checked pretty carefully at all the entrance points.
Maybe Dave Patterson can give us a definitive answer?

It's ages ago since I was there, and things change all the time.
=:-0
Mind you, if they were checking at entrance points, the scenario of
hiring a guide at Seronera wouldn't apply, inasmuch as you could say
you were going to hire a guide, then not do it, or even buy a voucher
for a guide at the entrance (in theory) then not 'redeem' it. So I
guess the rules have certainly changed. It's a good idea, as it means
more people can get employment from wildlife tourism (economic
benefit).

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz: http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos