Old July 4th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Jan

"Canopus" wrote in message
on 01/07/2005 wrote:

On 30 Jun 2005 20:27:07 GMT, "Canopus"
wrote:

Tarkus on 30/06/2005 wrote:

I'd like to add something. In some of the tombs, especially at the
Valley of the Kings, there are signs there asking you not to use
flashes, for obvious reasons. You can get a good shot of the artwork
by time exposures with a tripod.
When I was there nobody was about to enforce this rule and some
idiot was popping off pictures with a flash. Wonder what damage he
caused?

Stephen, Hong Kong.

In fact the guards often encourage you to use flash and then demand
baksheesh...they are on very poor money at even Egyptian standards.

I've have the same experience. No flash allowed, unless you give the guard a
pen....
I've no clue if a few flashes will damage the paintings.
In several temples, the guards where showing tourists the most important
drawings using a candle.
They force themselve onto the tourists, even when you tell them not to join
you. Of course all for a baksheesh.
I can the imagine the soot doesn't help preserving the drawings.

Be prepared to pay a lot of baksheesh. Every photo of a person or animals
(the owner will magically appear).

Jan