Old April 19th, 2004, 01:56 PM
ncurtis

Default Maritime Provinces in July

"Gene Brabston" wrote in message news:L6ugc.19476$0b4.25317@attbi_s51...
Our family of four has two weeks set aside in mid July. We are planning a
trip to the Canadian Maritime provinces.
We plan to fly to a central US city, rent a car, and tour the provinces by
vehicle. Would Portland, Maine be a good place to
start from?

Why start in Maine? The only reasons I can think of are kind of
wierd--your automobile insurer won't cover you in Canada (dump them if
that's the case!), you *really* like driving and you want to spend
hours doing it to get from Portland to the NB border, you're
hopelessly in love with long-distance ferry rides, you're trying to
rack up your lifetime quota of border crossings by car... Fly to
Halifax (YHZ) instead, rent the car there.

What should our itinerary be? Is two weeks too much or too
little time???

If you're highly familiar (or jaded) with coastal New England, focus
on Newfoundland--the other provinces would seem a little too "same old
same old with loonies and the metric system." If you're not a veteran
of lots of travel in the neighboring part of the U.S., 2 weeks means
carefully picking and choosing. What to pick and choose depends on
your interests--what are they?

Nancy