Old July 11th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Miso

Default Just returned from cruise - don't get it...

Last year we went on our first cruise. We spent a bit on some new
clothes for the evening events. But, we did a fair bit of research
and one really need not go out and spend lots of money on clothes for
the functions. It's only a guide and they won't kick anyone out of
the dining area as long as you are not wearing jeans on formal night.

To be honest... initially, I wasn't impressed with the cruise because
we went to Alaska . We are from the Pacific Northwest. So everything
was similar and boring. But, the main thing was that the cruise was
relaxing. 7 nights felt a lot longer than it was. I didn't sleep
much because of the faulty bed in the cabin. That was a glitch. I
should've complained but I didn't. The service we got from everyone
was really good. However, it was bit uncomfortable having everyone
wait on us hand and foot. I'm a more of a buffet kind of person.

When we arrived back home, I said that I won't do a cruise again.
But, since then I changed my mind. As another poster mentioned. You
need another travel agent. One that can work with you and for you. I
think cabin positioning is very important. The only pet peeves I had
really about the cruise is that soft drinks and booze isn't included
but the quality of the other food, except pizza was very good.

This fall, we will be doing an All Inclusive to the Mayan region only
because we haven't been there before and tipping is already included
in the price. Besides, liquor is included too. ;-) But, I
definitely want to try a cruise down to the Mexican Riviera,
Caribbean, and Hawaii.

Personally, I think you got carried away on the cruise. Everything
you did like excursions and spa treatments costs a lot of money.
That's how the cruiseline makes their profit...and on beverages too.

Next time, perhaps try being a bit more frugal and you may surprise
yourself and enjoy the cruise more.

"deedee_tv" wrote in message
. ..
: I just returned from a 7 day western Caribbean cruise on Celebrity
Century.
: I guess it is me but I don't get it. Although this was my first
cruise, I
: have traveled extensively (25+ European trips, 5 trips to Far East,
: Hawaii...). I really did not enjoy the cruise. The food was OK but
seemed
: to emphasize quantity over quality. I saw people ordering 3 shrimp
: cocktails each dinner even though it wasn't a menu option. I
definitely do
: not care for the "all you can eat" mentality.
:
: I had to start thinking about wardrobe options about a month prior
and
: needed $700 worth of clothes to fulfill the requirements of the
evening
: dress code. I followed the guidelines but was in the top 5-10% in
terms of
: actually wearing what was "required".
:
: The port destinations were far too short to accomplish anything.
All ports
: (Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozamel and Key West) left you in
the
: most touristy areas which gave little ability to get to see the
country.
:
: I ended up with the $3000+ cruise price plus an additional $1600
spend on
: board for shore excursions, drinks, spa treatments, bingo and very
light
: gambling.
:
: I don't need that much structure to relax. I know people who rave
about
: cruising but give me a condo on just about any beach and the ability
to pick
: which restaurant I eat at in the evening and I will save thousands
and be
: much happier.
:
: Am I alone here?