Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.misc

Default ATM vs Debit; Intn'l Banks

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 00:38:09 +0700, "RAK" wrote:

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 11:50:04 +0700, "RAK" wrote:

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 02:47:13 +0000 (UTC), echo wrote:

Thanks to Jim and all those who replied. I notice no one had any bank
recommendations. I have pretty much concluded that they all suck, so
probably there is no good one.

I have had accounts with HSBC in several countries for many years, and
have been happy with their service in both the Philippines and
Thailand.

My main source of income is credited to another account I have with
them offshore in the Channel Islands, and any transfers they do for me
from there to my other HSBC accounts elsewhere in the world are free
of charge. Also, it normally only takes a couple of hours for the
money to arrive in my overseas account.

Chris

Interesting. I have an HSBC account in the UK (mainland) with offshore
status (they may not issue new accounts like this any more, I think now
offshores must be in the Channel Island or IOM).
I cannot make overseas transfers from this account via the internet as the
account data fields are fixed to the lengths of UK accounts (8 digits?)
and
sort codes etc.I therefore have another account with a different bank in
IOM
which allows overseas transfers via the net.
I also have HSBC in Indonesia. Sounds like I would be better off moving my
UK HSBC to the Channels islands if intenational transfers can be done over
the net and are free. But it is a shame as now I can go into the HSBC
branch
from time to time when I am in the UK, which can be useful; I would not
want
to pop over to Jersey just to sign some form.

I have had the Indonesian account for over 10 years, the UK one for about
20
years. In general I find HSBC gives good service though sometimes they are
too expensive, e.g. their foreign exchange rates in Indonesia are
terrible,
so I take money out in cash and change it in a money changer or local
bank.

For some reason, HSBC do not allow international transfers to be
carried out by internet banking on UK mainland accounts. I'm not sure
why that is, because they permit it in every other country in which I
have accounts with them, including Jersey.

By the way, the international transfers are only free if you have
"Premier" status with them. If not, I think they charge GBP15 each for
transfers to other HSBC offices.

The exchange rates at HSBC in Manila are not bad. Certainly as good as
any other local bank, but perhaps not as good as a money changer.

Thanks, I'll look into it when I am in the UK. I have a Premier account on
the mainland but I guess it may not keep that status if I transfer.

If you have Premier status with HSBC in one country, then any other
accounts you have with them elsewhere in the world will also be given
the same status without having to meet the minimum balance
requirements everywhere. They normally give better exchange rates to
Premier customers, along with a few other perks, so it may be worth
asking at your branch in Indonesia about it.

Chris