Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.misc

Default ATM vs Debit; Intn'l Banks

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 22:38:38 +0000 (UTC), echo wrote:

Wonderful; assuming your not a shill for HSBC.

Now if their moron customers service dept. could understand English and
answer simple questions.

I've never had a problem with them understanding me. Perhaps if you
brushed up on your English you'd have more success in communicating
with them.

Chris Blunt wrote in
:

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 02:47:13 +0000 (UTC), echo wrote:

Thanks to Jim and all those who replied. I notice no one had any bank
recommendations. I have pretty much concluded that they all suck, so
probably there is no good one.

I have had accounts with HSBC in several countries for many years, and
have been happy with their service in both the Philippines and
Thailand.

My main source of income is credited to another account I have with
them offshore in the Channel Islands, and any transfers they do for me
from there to my other HSBC accounts elsewhere in the world are free
of charge. Also, it normally only takes a couple of hours for the
money to arrive in my overseas account.

Chris

"Big Jim" wrote in
:

Hello Echo

It mostly relates to Cebu City but you can read my article on using
ATM's in the Philippines he
http://bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/blog/?p=32

Regards: Jim Sibbick

"echo" wrote in message
Planning on traveling to Thailand,Philippines and also Central
America. Then I will settle in one of the cities, with BKK and
major city in Philippines on on the list.

Need advice on how to make funds currently in USA major bank
available to me in these cities. Which is better ATM or Debit card?
Thinking I need a good international bank with branches in both USA
and various overseas cities. Or is it better to stick with a local
in country bank?

Need your advice on which international banks if any are any good,
preferably one that has a branch in the USA also. Any help?