Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:47 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.misc

Default ATM vs Debit; Intn'l Banks

Chris Blunt wrote:

I don't have a problem obtaining cash, and an ATM seems to be one of
the most convenient way of doing that. I can withdraw up to GBP500 a
day with an ATM card, which is more than enough for most people. If I
need more than that I simply ask them to transfer whatever amount I
need to my local account with them and the money is normally in the
account ready to withdraw the same day. I'm not sure why it doesn't
work as easily as that in New York.

Go figure. I didn't have an HSBC-USA account, and as far as they
were concerned they had no relationship with HSBC UK. It could have
been Barlays and Save-o-Matic of Manhatten for all they thought. It
would have taken many days at large expense to get a few thousand
dollars transferred, with the additional problem of not having a local
account to put it in, and not being able to open a local account without
a residential address.

USA is the only place I've ever known that had also refused to accept
a credit card because it wasn't issued in the US. A VISA is a VISA is
a VISA everywhere else in the world. But not for buying airline tickets
in US over the phone, even in pre-11/09 days.

--
Ken Tough