Old August 29th, 2007, 12:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Default Trans Atlantic Crossing

wrote in message
ups.com...

We haven't actually done a TA, but are considering it for Fall 2009.
What we're considering is booking Oceania, as it includes free
airfare. Since most of our time would be spent on the ship as opposed
to stopping frequently at port, we don't mind spending a bit more for
Oceania since we'd be interested in the ship vs. the itinerary for
that kind of a sailing. I know there is a group going on Oceania next
November TA; you might see if you can get in on that one. Cal Ford
has that group going, I believe. He posts here frequently; he's with
Lido Cruises.

That's a TINY ship to be doing a trans Atlantic on... I actually had doubts
about doing a Bermuda sailing during the fall on the Journey (another former
Ren sister ship) because of her tiny size. I sailed through a Nor'easter on
the tiny Zenith last year... it wasn't pretty. On the Explorer this past
spring, we sailed through the remnants of a tropical storm, with waves
higher than my second deck window... and until I opened the window I didn't
even know we were in rough seas.

I think I'd want a huge ship to do a crossing. Either a Voyager class or
the QM2. Both from a stability stand point and having tons of stuff to do
for 5-6 days.

--Tom