Old February 4th, 2008, 12:48 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.africa
A Mate[_2_]

Default Malaria and Mosquito Repellent

Oops - I meant chloroquine resistant strains of malaria!!

" A Mate" wrote in message
u...
Doxycycline is the most efficient and reliable pharmaceutical malaria
prophylactic. Effective against chloroquine malarial strain etc. Cheap
too.

Some cautions.

If buying outside Australia - be sure it is within its expiry date (It can
become toxic, and cause liver damage if it very old). Some 3% of users
suffer enhanced sensitivity to sunburn when taking doxy - so use extra
sunscreen as a cautionary measure.

You take 1 x 100mg tablet daily, from 1 day before exposure to 4 weeks
after last exposure.

It's best taken at about the same time every day (I always take it with
breakfast), after food, or with food. Do not lie down for 30 minutes after
taking - as it can cause reflux with some people.

It is the anti-malarial of choice for the ADF; and recognised as very
effective by the CDC in Atlanta - but for some reason rarely prescribed in
the UK for this purpose.

Big Trip - must be a few 'looong' weeks.

Take Care.

"Alan S" wrote in message
Hi All

I'm going on a trip which will include Thailand, Cambodia,
India, Jordan, Egypt and Yucatan in a few weeks.

I will be doing the normal prophylaxis for malaria. I have
to be fairly careful with a shaky immune system.

I would appreciate suggestions on the most effective rub-on
or spray-on mosquito repellents for daily personal use.
Preferably one that doesn't also repel those who sit next to
me in buses and which doesn't make me appear to be covered
in baby oil and which is likely to be available in those
countries if replenishment is needed.

I'll be talking to my doc on medication prophylaxis, but any
thoughts on that would also be appreciated.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia