Old August 29th, 2007, 08:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
mrtravel[_3_]

Default IATA bids farewell to paper tickets

Craig Welch wrote:

auzerais wrote:

But for
the last several years, I just go to the airport, swipe my credit card
in the kiosk machine and it prints out my boarding pass. Never had to
show anything like an e-ticket I had printed out to anyone.

Exactly.

So much for 'positive identification', eh?

You don't even need a magnetic card for some airline kiosks in the US.
You often can get by with entering a frequent flyer number or
confirmation number. Some airlines don't even need that much, as long as
you can identify your flight info and your name.

There is, of course, an ID vs BP pass check (in the US) before you go
through security, but there is no computer check to see whether the BP
or the ID is legitimate.