Old June 11th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Iceman

Default Drive from Mexico City to Yucatan?

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:13:19 GMT, Joy Hardie
wrote:

o.k....still on my pursuit to find an affordable family vacation for
my kids to practice their Spanish and see some pyramids and beaches
without the highrises (ie. NOT looking for a bunch of Americans on a
crowded beach) but a pretty beach would be nice.
Anyway, what about flying into Mexico City and renting a car and
seeing signts on a drive to the Yucatan and back. Do the roads or
crime etc. make it impossible? I wouldn't immagine it to be as simple
as driving across our states....but has anyone done it? Could we make
a good roadtrip out of it instead of flying into Cancun (with very
expensive airline tickets)? I don't want my kids kidnapped or to get
robbed at gunpoint by banditos or the police or anything
horrible...but I am up for an adventure and I would think it is a
great way to see more.
Joy

Mexico has a really good bus network, if you'd rather not drive
yourself. There's loads to see between Mexico City and the
Yucatan...Taxco, Oaxaca, San Cristobal de las Casas, Palenque.