Old June 12th, 2004, 02:26 AM
Joy Hardie

Default Drive from Mexico City to Yucatan?

Do you make reservations for lodgings based on planned itinerarys or
"wing-it" and let the cards fall as they may and stay wherever you
happen to end up? How long would you suggest this trip takes and do
you have any route suggestions?
Joy

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:39:29 -0400, "H. Michel"
wrote:

My husband and I have travelled all over Mexico and Latin America with
our three kids at various ages. With kids we always travel by bus. It's
cheap, comfortable, convenient, fun adventure, amusing and a great way
to meet people and practice Spanish.

Joy Hardie wrote:
o.k....still on my pursuit to find an affordable family vacation for
my kids to practice their Spanish and see some pyramids and beaches
without the highrises (ie. NOT looking for a bunch of Americans on a
crowded beach) but a pretty beach would be nice.
Anyway, what about flying into Mexico City and renting a car and
seeing signts on a drive to the Yucatan and back. Do the roads or
crime etc. make it impossible? I wouldn't immagine it to be as simple
as driving across our states....but has anyone done it? Could we make
a good roadtrip out of it instead of flying into Cancun (with very
expensive airline tickets)? I don't want my kids kidnapped or to get
robbed at gunpoint by banditos or the police or anything
horrible...but I am up for an adventure and I would think it is a
great way to see more.
Joy