Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:30 AM
Jason

Default Qantas Web Fare Specials to Australia & NZ from US.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:44:17 -0500, pinkbikin wrote:

Well you've certainly been busy. You've also been somewhat economical with
the truth.

Fact: your website does contain self advertising ie:
for your own softwear development company.
Quotes from your website:
"All the photographs were taken by Jason Poynting and it's obvious why
he's a professional programmer and not a photographer."
"In this time our clients have included EDS, Deloitte & Touche and
British Telecom."
"This means that you only pay to upload your images once, giving big
savings on costly mobile phone data calls."

None of the above quotes appear on the Scuba Addict website, which is the
site with my trip reports and other scuba information on. They do appear
on a separate site that I also have. There is a link from a handful of
pages from one site to the other. These links are obvious that you are
going from one site to another. They're not blind links. There's no sneaky
redirects or use of frames. I have links to many commercial sites on my
pages.

I have never posted the url of my other site to a non-commercial Usenet
group and never will.

And quite how the first quote is a self advert, I don't know. It's meant
to be a slightly humourous explanation for the amateur nature of my
photographs.

"A commercial posting account costs £35."

This is on the Scuba Addict site. I added it last week. It's a database
for UK dive boat skippers to advertise their free spaces on their boats.
Again, I have not posted an advert for this commercial service on any
Usenet group. I fail to see how my postings to this newsgroup could
remotely constitute an advert for this. It is very unlikely to be of any
interest to anyone on here at all.

I have never advertised a product or service in which I have any
interest on this newsgroup. All I do is include a short randomly generated
byline in my signature pointing to my trip reports which I have been doing
for years. And over the years, many people have thanked me for writing
them. On my last trip to the Maldives, I actually met some people who
chose the island based on my report. It was a bit scary really,
fortunately they appeared to be enjoying themselves.

The more people that read my reports, the more money it costs me in
bandwidth. This is not a business. It's about sharing my experiences and
getting to publish my own articles.

Of course they are not on your front page but one does not have to dig
deep to spot them.

On the contrary, for most of them you have to click on a link to a
completely different website. And about one person a month actually does
this.

Would you perhaps like to explain why you need this on your site?

Certainly. Valueclick provide code which I include on my website. It
generates adverts. If someone clicks on the advert, I get 15p. When the
amount I've made reaches £30, I get paid. I'm in for a very long wait.

Valueclick use cookies which are small pieces of information that are
stored by the browser. The contents are only accessible by the site that
put them there, which is Valueclick, and not myself.

Most banner ad companies use cookies. If you want more details, I suggest
you go to media.valueclick.com and click on the Privacy link. You do of
course have the option to block cookies.

I personally use cookies to handle login and passwords. There is no other
practical way of doing it.

Do you still have a copy of the snotty email you sent me?

Yes thanks. And I'll explain why it was so annoying. You forged your email
headers. When the mail gets delivered to my machine, it does what's called
a DNS lookup to check that the host exists. Yours didn't. So every ten
minutes the email started to get delivered and was then bounced. It sat
there chewing up my bandwidth for about a week before I had to manually
clear it.

Jason

--
http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for Maldivian trip reports including Kuredu,
Fesdu, Meedhupparu, Summer Island Village and Velidhu