Old September 16th, 2003, 03:05 AM
PTRAVEL

Default Tokyo with a Very Young Child

"Gerry Scott-Moore" wrote in message
d...
In article , PTRAVEL
wrote:

"John W." wrote in message
... Finally, on the plan MAKE SURE
you DO NOT buy a seat for your child (unless money isn't an issue).
You and your husband need to reserve an aisle and window seat;
unless the plane is just packed the middle seat probably won't be
booked, especially if you get to the airport early. We've never had
an issue, and while our child was under the required 'seat
reservation' age we flew a dozen or more times.

What horrible (and selfish) advice. Most flights run full these days.

To Japan from the US? That's surprising, and doesn't mirror my
experiences.

Well, it corresponds to mine. I fly Northwest to/through Tokyo, and the
flights I've been on ran full, or darn close to it.

What you propose will, almost certainly, result in some poor *******
being stuck between you and your wife, while you shuttle your child
back-and-forth to hold on your laps.

Don't be sillly. It's assumed it would go unbooked.

You assume it would go unbooked. The airlines don't assume that, nor do
most passengers.

If someone actually
got the seat booked, they'd simply slide over.

And what if that middle seat passenger chose a middle seat because there
were no window seats available? I prefer windows, particularly on long-haul
flights, and if one wasn't available, I'd want to be as closed to a windows
as possible.

And, yes, it is unacceptable to propose that this hypothetical person take
the window seat, while the couple in the aisle and middle share a
lap-infant.

I know, I know--that
would be against the rules...

No, it would be discourteous.

Subjecting someone to that on a short flight would be simply rude.
On a long-haul, it's entirely unacceptable.

But in the imagination it's very colorful!

Imagination? Are you really not familiar with the reality of long-hauls
with lap infants?

If you insist on taking infants on airplanes, buy a seat for them and
bring an approved car seat. Your child (and everyone else) will be
more comfortable and safer. Don't assume, for a minute, that the
airline will simply make room for you because you have brought a baby
along.

And certainly don't use your repeated personal experience as any kind
of guide.

You sound like a gambler who has rolled 4 sevens in a row, and thinks thats
what craps is always like.

Just do what you project would be good for others, even if
inapplicable. It's the worriers way!

No, it's the considerate person's way. Sorry you don't understand that.

--
///---