Old May 30th, 2008, 04:45 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

Default India maps

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

More over, both tools support
databases which locate everything a tourist wants to see and experience.
And a lot which is not of common interest. Those maps are scarce which
generate approriate routes between any given points and provide guidance
at every turning point. However, GPS navigation is still a great help in
India.

And how do you utilise Google Maps when travelling in India?

The place isn't exactly brimming with free WiFi and although Tata does
have CDMA mobile computing you can't get it unless you're a resident.

Well, I guess there are "internet cafes" here and there in India. One can
also do some homework prior to a visit to India.

Plus the driver looking at your laptop when he's driving is a really
great way to die if you're in India

Car navigation can be a problem. However, few tourists drive a car in India
(no comprehensive set of insurance policies are available for foreign
leisure motorists in India). Still, for an ordinary tourists GPS navigation
can be a great help when utilized properly.

Once more you show an incredible bad grasp of how to apply technology to
travel in places where you don't have European levels of infrastructure.

Well, I have visited less developed countries a few times. In 2005 I drove
around 10.000 kilometres around Thailand. Back then not Navteq nor TeleAtlas
provided maps on the kingdom (place to place my nowadays ancient Garmin
etrex was very helpful, not so much on the road though). A bloke insisted at
that time in this group that most 7-11 grocery stores stock detailed maps on
Thailand..... Unfortunately it wasn't so. The next draw was that the
Michelin Road Atlas in scale one to one million is a large scale map.......
Anyways Navteq DO provide a detailed GPS map on the entire country today
(perhaps TeleAtlas as well). Google tools are there too.

In Egypt I cruised in summer 2007. It was exotic. It is true that on the
road the gps-plotter wasn't so helpful. On the city grids on the other hand
it was most handful. Location of the hotel and the car was naturally stored
as POIs like many denkmäler.