Old August 12th, 2008, 03:04 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,alt.rv,alt.travel.canada,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

Default Watch out for Credit Card fees when travelling to Canada

"Dash Riprock" wrote:
Credit card fees are inevitable and they charge a fee either way you make
the exchange. Last December I was accidentally charged $1,300(usd)
for a conference that I was attending in Vancouver BC. (I am Canadian,
and so was the MasterCard company just not the event organizer). Well
the MasterCard company charged the 1,300, the applicable exchange
rate and of course their fee. I should not have been charged at all so I
contacted MasterCard to have the charge removed, and since the event
organizer agreed this wasn't an issue.
... I won, but the lady on the phone snottily said next time have the
company do a void on the transaction so this wouldn't happen again. If
I knew they were going to do it, I would have stopped it at the instant it
happened not the next month when I noticed it on my invoice.

You made a good point about the transaction fee, but I also wonder if
or why you did not contact the vendor about reversing charge. To me,
that's a quicker and more certain solution than waiting for the CC issuer
to consider your dispute.

Recently, I was accidentally double-charged by a local restaurant. I
simply called the manager, gave him the date + transaction #'s, and a
few days later received a credit for the second charge.