Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:58 AM
Miss L. Toe

Default Trip Report NCL-LHR-IAD-SEA-IAD-LHR-NCL (long)

"Malcolm Weir" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:00:00 +0100, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

[ Snip ]

Got to arrivals to be greeted with with what must have been a queue of
more
than 100 people waiting for immigration control. I very boring hour of
queueing (sorry, waiting in line!) followed before I got the desk,

handed
in
my form, they stamped my passport, answered the questions, and I was on

my
way.

Has anyone here tried that ipass thing ? (I've propably got the name

wrong)

INSPASS. I have one; It's expired (although you wouldn't know it to
look at it) and it has the wrong passport on it.

It worked fine, but only saved a few minutes.

So do you still have to wait in the main line (queue) until you get to a
desk, I got the impression that you can bypass the whole queue (which
obviously varies in length/time).

Good job you didnt go Delta - they pour your drink from a can into your
glass which is already full of ice, so you end up with about a quater of

can.

And the problem with that is...?

I refer the right honorable gentleman to the answer given earlier (by Pam).

We boarded but were told about 10 minutes after we were due to take off
that
there was going to be a delay. There warning lights illuminated in the
cockpit apparently. The pilot informed us that he was 100% confident

there
was nothing wrong with the aircraft,

Does that mean he doesnt believe his own warning lights ?

How *do* you come up with this stuff?

Warning lights are just that, warnings. You want the warning system
to fail safe, so if a sensor fails you get a warning, rather than a
lack of warning when whatever the sensor is for triggers.

Pilots, being not very stupid, know which sensors are most likely to
fail (thus triggering the warning light), even when there's nothing
wrong... and moreover (again, being not very stupid) they know how to
read the rest of the instruments to see if the warning looks
plausible.

So if the pilot stated he was 100% confident, the instruments were
saying everything is OK, but the warning light was saying something
was out of range. Conclusion: the warning sensor is faulty.

Malc.

I might agree with your comments had the pilot said he was 99% confident
there was nothing wrong with the aircraft.